Super Easy Pulled PorkAll Recipes / Lunch/Dinner / Snacks
This all round favourite is usually loaded with sugar, salt and fat. However, after trying endless variations we have created a super easy pulled pork recipe for us fitness and bodybuilding folk.
This is a great dish to cater for a family, a party or just to make plenty of pulled pork to have to eat throughout the week. To make this you will need a slow cooker, this allows you to cook it on a low heat for a long period of time (8-10 hours). We have created the recipe so that you can easily prepare the dish in 10 minutes and then leave it to cook either over night or throughout the day.
The classic way to serve pulled pork is with a cornbread roll, coleslaw and barbecue sauce (the naughty bits). These are the bits that usually make pulled pork unhealthy so it’s up to you how you serve the pulled pork – it even works great with brown rice or served cold with salad.
- One pork shoulder or leg joint – ideally around 2.5 kg / 5.5 lbs
- 2-3 white onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- Low sodium chicken stock (enough to make 1 pint / 570 ml)
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (ideally muscovado)*
- 1/2 tablespoon salt (vary to taste and diet requirements)
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
*As a low GI alternative to sugar, use Agarve Nectar
- Peel and roughly chop the onions and the garlic and lay them in the base of the slow cooker
- Remove any string or netting from the pork joint, trim of any skin and excess fat and pat the pork dry with a kitchen towel
- In a bowl mix together the chilli powder, sugar, salt, cumin and cinnamon
- Using your hands, rub the spice mix into the pork joint
- Place the pork join into the slow cooker, laying it on top of the onions
- Pour the stock around the pork joint until it is 2/3 covered
- Leave to simmer on low for 8-10 hours
- When the cooking time is complete, remove the pork joint from the slow cooker and place on a chopping board
- Strain the remaining contents from the slow cooker through a sieve, set aside the liquid and return the solids to the slow cooker
- Using two forks, shred the pork into bite sized chunks, discard any excess fat and return the shredded meat to the slow cooker
- Pour off any excess fat from the liquid that you have set aside (it will rise to the top) and pour the liquid over the shredded meat until the meat is sufficiently moistened
- Serve as you like and enjoy!